22nd January 2016

Port operator fined £1.8 Million

An Essex maritime terminal operator was fined £1.8 million and ordered to pay costs of £14,328 after a worker suffered serious injury, in June 2014, when his arm became wrapped around a powered capstan, while mooring an ocean-going vessel. The HSE investigation found that the defendant failed to suitably identify and control risk associated with the use of powered capstans at the port. Consequently, the system of work adopted was unsafe. Arrangements for instruction, training and supervision of workers using this equipment were inadequate, as were those for audit and monitoring of safety. Also taken into account by the court was the fact that, the defendant failed to suitably heed warnings raised by its workers prior to the incident.

21st January 2016

Yorkshire Water fined £600,000

Yorkshire Water Services Ltd has been fined £600,000 after an ageing sewage pipe burst and killed hundreds of fish in a Wakefield lake. The company was also ordered to pay investigation and prosecution costs of £24,000 to the Environment Agency.

Sometime on or before 5 October 2013 a rising main sewage pipe from the company’s Shay Lane pumping station burst and raw sewage flowed into Drain Beck, which feeds a fishing lake in Walton Park.


6th January 2016

Prosecution for failure to manage asbestos

A food company and their contractor have been fined a total of £165,000 and ordered to pay £18,000 costs after asbestos was disturbed during building work and only identified by chance when an asbestos removal contractor attended site.

HSE found that the company was undertaking a project to remove tanks from a factory which required the demolition of an external wall. They failed to provide an asbestos survey to enable their contractor to quote and plan appropriately for the work to be undertaken.

When the wall was demolished asbestos insulation board at the top of the wall was unknowingly broken up. A skip of demolition debris was found to contain asbestos insulation board, which had been identified by an asbestos contractor who had been called to site.