Plymouth company has been fined £500,000 after an employee suffered fatal injuries when a stack of boxes of frozen fish fell on him. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive into the incident, which occurred on 18 October 2013, found there was no safe system of work or instruction to staff on how pallets should be stored. There was no written procedure for dealing with falls of stock when they occurred.
Two companies were fined a total of £815,000 after a worker was crushed to death in Lancashire by a refuse collection vehicle (RCV) whilst it was being refurbished. The HSE investigation found the fatal injury resulted from a poor system of work at the company (JFS) carrying out the refurbishment. In addition, the waste company failed in its inspection regime, which did not systematically review the functionality of the safety limit switch on RCVs. Had the fault with the safety limit switch been identified, and rectified, the poor system of work employed at JFS would not have resulted in the entrapment of the worker.
A Stoke-on-Trent food waste disposal and recycling firm has been fined £250,000 and ordered to pay costs of £37,362 after three employees were overcome by toxic gases. In the sane incident two further employees entered the waste compartment and were also overcome by the gases. The court heard that the company had been prosecuted twice before for two fatal incidents which involved confined space entry within a processing plant.