A Lincolnshire chemical company was fined £200,000 after a worker had his left arm crushed in a bottle filling machine. The HSE Inspector said: “The company should have developed a standard operating procedure for the adjustment process, which if implemented correctly along with their lock off procedure, could have prevented the incident. Non-routine maintenance tasks must be carried out by trained personnel working to standard safe operating procedures”.
A Clydeside waste management company has been fined £264,000 following an incident where a twenty-eight-year employee was fatally injured whilst cleaning a mobile shredder. Paisley Sheriff Court heard that on, 28 March 2018, two employees were trying to remove waste that was trapped between a heavy magnet and a hopper on the shredder machine. The deceased was struck by the magnet, which fell after he manually removed the locking pins that were keeping the magnet in place. He sustained extensive head injuries and died as a result. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company had failed to provide employees engaged in cleaning and using the shredder with adequate training, information and instruction on the deployment of the magnet fitted to the shredder.
A West Midlands specialist industrial services company has been fined £2,000,000 and ordered to pay £30,000 in costs after a worker suffered a fatal injury whilst cleaning waste-water pipes. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company recognised the risks of operating high-pressure water jetting equipment, but they had failed to put in place appropriate measures to mitigate the risks. They had not implemented or enforced the use of various control measures, which were missing at the time of the incident and, training and supervision were also not up to standard.