A Chesterfield poultry processing company was fined £300,000 and ordered to pay £5,046 costs after an agency worker had her thumb severed on a moving part of a processing line. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there was no emergency stop for the worker to stop the conveyor from her working position when she became caught in it.
A Kent waste management company has been fined £400,000 after an employee suffered life changing injuries. The injured employee was working as banksman, assisting a lorry to manoeuvre into a bay when a shovel loader reversed out of the bay, knocking him to the ground and driving over the lower half of his body. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company had failed to organise the workplace in such a way that pedestrians and vehicles could circulate in a safe manner.
A Somerset paper-milling company has been fined £300,000 and ordered to pay costs of £11,191 after an employee suffered life changing injuries. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the company had not provided a safe system of work for the removal of broken paper from the after-dryer section of the paper-making machine when the machinery was operated in reverse.