An Oxford heating equipment supplier has been fined £40,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,353.60. after a worker suffered injuries to his fingers in a hydraulic press. Whilst setting up the horizontal press, with a defeated interlock, he inadvertently activated it, crushing the tips of his index finger and thumb. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive into the incident which occurred on the 12 March 2015 found it had become custom and practice to defeat the interlock during the set-up of the press and the risk assessment for the work was inadequate and had not been reviewed regularly
A Sheffield scrap metal recycling company has been fined £120,000 with £40,000 after a worker was killed when he was hit in the head by an exploding gas cylinder, which had been put through a shearing machine.
A West Midlands chemical producer has been fined £333,000 with £110,000 costs after a release, in January 2009, of phosphorus and phosphine. Subsequent reactions resulted in the generation of a mist of phosphoric acid which caused road closures, including part of the M5, and an estimated 4,500 people were asked to stay indoors for two to three hours.