An East Yorkshire vertical farming, glasshouses and energy company was fined £333,333 after a worker came into contact with an 11kV overhead power line. The injured person had to be hospitalised having received burns to his leg and foot when a scaffold pole he was manhandling came into contact with the line. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that manual handling had occurred due to the poor condition of the site. There were also inadequate controls on site to warn of the overhead cables.
A West Yorkshire company was fined £100,000 and ordered to pay £9,928 costs after worker suffered chemical burns. Following an accident incurred whilst transporting a cleaning concentrate the worker attempted to stop the leak but became contaminated with the substance.The company had no systems in place for dealing with spillages and was not properly equipped to deal with the consequences of employees being contaminated with substances which might be harmful to their health.
A Kent warehouse company has been fined £180,000 and ordered to pay costs of £23,358 after an employee was electrocuted while servicing an air compressor. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the electrical systems had not been tested or visually inspected since installation, and an incorrect isolating switch had not been identified.