A distillery in Oldbury has been fined £270,000 and ordered to pay costs of £25,009 after an employee was engulfed in flames in a fire that destroyed the warehouse and its contents.
Ethyl acetate (highly flammable liquid) was being transferred from a bulk storage tank into an intermediate bulk container when the ignition occurred.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the most likely source of ignition was a discharge of static electricity generated by the transfer of the liquid. There was poor maintenance of pipework and associated valves. There was a failure to competently inspect the equipment or monitor the systems of work.
A Cardiff-based construction company has been fined £143,000 and ordered to costs of £15,029 after a worker was seriously injured falling down a lift pit. The court was told that there had been numerous management failings associated with this project, which included a lack of effective site management and supervision, a construction plan that did not properly consider obvious working at height risks and a lack of an effective Temporary Works Management System
A Manchester aluminium diecasting producer has been fined £140,000 after a worker suffered life threatening injuries when he became trapped in a machine. The worker had entered the middle of the aluminium diecasting machine to clear a build-up of metal. Whilst carrying out this routine procedure a robot arm started to move and trapped him. He suffered a cardiac arrest and fourth degree burns.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found the machine had only been partially guarded. This was despite there being a risk assessment in place at the time of the incident identifying the hazard of contact or entrapment with the ladle