A Merseyside port operating company has been fined £300,000 and ordered to pay costs of £7,593 after a worker was struck by a load falling from two fork lift truck (FLT). An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found no suitable risk assessment relating to the hazards arising from loading bundles of rebar onto reversing flatbed trailers had been carried out. The tandem FLT lifting operation carried out was also not properly planned, supervised or carried out in a safe manner.
A construction company was fined £1,000,000 and ordered to pay costs of £108,502 after a worker was struck by an excavator and was killed. One of the company’s employees was given a six-month custodial sentence, suspended for twelve months and ordered to pay costs of £15,000. On the night of 2nd March 2014, the deceased was crushed against a concrete wall by a tool mounted on an excavator. Another worker nearly suffered the same fate. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found the construction company failed to ensure the safety, so far as is reasonably practicable, of its employees and of others who were not their employees working on the site. The investigation also that the site supervisor, who was operating the excavator at the time, failed to take reasonable care for other persons on site at the time.
A vehicle component manufacturer has been fined £1,000,000 and ordered to pay costs of £9,374 after two employees suffered burns whilst cleaning a distillation tank. The injured people were burnt when the vapour of a flammable chemical, which was being used to clean the distillation tank part of a component washer, ignited and caused an explosion. Both suffered significant burn injuries, with one so badly hurt that they could not return to work for over two months.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive into the incident found that no risk assessment had been undertaken for the procedure of cleaning the distillation tank and that no safe system of work had been put in place. The investigation also found that no planning had been undertaken for the use of the flammable chemical during the cleaning activity.