Fencing manufacturer fined £260,00011th July 2018
SI 2018/83413th July 2018
REACH after BREXIT
HSE announce that subject to conclusion and ratification of the draft Withdrawal Agreement, an implementation period will start on 30 March 2019 and last until 31 December 2020. During the implementation period and subject to finalisation of the Withdrawal Agreement:
- Registrations, approvals, authorisations and classifications in place before March 2019 will continue to be valid during the implementation period in the same way that they are now.
- REACH will continue to apply to the UK during the implementation period.
- The process for registering new chemicals under REACH during the implementation period will remain the same as it is now, which will require UK companies to register with the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
- During the implementation period, the UK will recognise all new registrations, approvals, authorisations and classifications granted by the EU.
- During the implementation period, we expect that HSE will not be able to act as a ‘leading authority’ to conduct certain assessments under the Plant Protection Products, Biocides and REACH regulations. We will work with affected businesses to minimise disruption and delay to their ongoing assessments.
- UK-based businesses will have the same rights during the implementation period as EU-based businesses to have their cases accepted and processed by ‘leading authorities’ based in other EU member states.
- HSE will continue to process product applications under the Biocidal and Plant Protection Products Regulation for the UK market under the national authorisation route during the implementation period. Any applications will be considered against the current rules and standards.