A Norwich manufacturing firm has been fined £145,000 and ordered to pay costs of £65,900 after two employees, working with flammable substances in a spray booth, were killed by an explosion. The two had sprayed several welded steel buckets that morning and were preparing for their next batch.
Whilst cleaning or flushing a paint spray gun the flammable vapour generated was ignited by one of the various sources of ignition which were present at the scene. An explosion occurred, killing both workers.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the immediate cause of the explosion to be the inconsistent and incomplete approach to health and safety by the company and its employees.