The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has released the annual injury and ill-health statistics for Great Britain for the year 2018/19. In summary:
- 4 million working people suffering from a work-related illness
- 2,526 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures (2017)
- 147 workers killed at work (2018/19)
- 581,000 injuries occurred at work according to the Labour Force Survey
- 69,208 injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
- 2 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury
HSE commented that there have been no significant changes to industries in which there is a higher risk of sustaining an injury while at work.